(HIT) – Before the snow starts falling and covers up your home’s exterior with a blanket of white, it’s time to tackle do-it-yourself projects with easy-to-install Fypon® shutters, trim and column wraps.
“Cool weather is the ideal time to evaluate your home’s exterior and make upgrades to problem areas,” says Mark Clement, host of MyFixitUpLife home improvement talk show. “Look especially to replace products that may be rusted, rotted or broken that will only get worse with the onset of freeze-thaw conditions and melting snows.”
Image courtesy of Fypon®
Clement recommends examining columns, balustrade systems, shutters, trim and louvers to evaluate for rot or insect damage, decay from moisture or peeling paint. “When I see any signs an exterior product is failing, that’s my signal to replace the piece,” says Clement. “For millwork pieces like moulding, shutters or trim, the Fypon millwork I’ve installed are lightweight and durable, and provide years of worry-free beauty. Man-made products like those manufactured by Fypon definitely have solid advantages to them, including fewer long-term maintenance hassles.”
Several of the top home improvement projects recommended by Clement during the autumn months include:
- Clean or replace louvers – Functional louvers allow air to flow in and out of the attic space, helping to regulate the moisture level and airflow in the home. The screens should be cleaned regularly, and any possible cobwebs, insects and nests cleared out of the screen portion. Rotting wooden louvers should be replaced with low-maintenance polyurethane louvers.
- Replace aging shutters – Instantly add new curb appeal to the home by replacing faded and failing old shutters. Available in both smooth and timber versions, Fypon polyurethane shutters are weather-resistant and also resist rotting, moisture and insects. They accept paint wonderfully and are easy to install.
- Clean and flush gutters – Make sure to remove old leaves from gutters before the snow arrives. Clogs and backups can occur when pine needles and other debris get stuck in gutters, causing harmful ice dams during colder weather.
- Spruce up tops of windows and doors – Clement recommends kicking up curb appeal with new crossheads and pediments over windows and doors. Up-to-date polyurethane pieces offer years of beauty and low-maintenance.
- Ditch deteriorating porch systems – If you have a porch system that’s cracked, rotting, or a hassle to paint year-after-year, then ditch it. Replacing with a QuickRail® PVC system or a structural polyurethane balustrade system can provide years of effortless joy for any homeowner.
“To me, nothing makes more sense than using top-of-the-line products to enhance a home’s appearance and value,” says Clement. “This autumn, the best thing homeowners can do is to ERR on the positive side — Evaluate, Replace and Rest!”
For more home project ideas, home improvement and repair information from Clement, visit www.MyFixitUpLife.com.
Fypon offers thousands of decorative millwork elements in a variety of architectural styles to enhance the interior and exterior of America’s homes. Each piece is crafted from tough, weather-resistant, high-performance materials that are resistant to decay, insect infestation and water damage for long-lasting beauty and low maintenance. Part of consumer products company Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. (NYSE: FBHS), Fypon, LLC is owned by Therma-Tru Corp. For additional information, call 800-446-3040 or visit www.fypon.com.